We've learnt a thing or two in 75 years...
As a privately owned family company, now run by co-founder Vernon Grainger’s three grandsons James, Matthew, and Edward, Grainger and Worrall are the market leaders in the field of prototype and small series complex high integrity structural castings, currently working within a diverse range of industries including automotive, commercial vehicles motorsport, aerospace and defence.
The company was founded in 1946 by brothers-in-law Vernon Grainger and Charles Worrall, who set up business in post-war Britain as pattern makers and casting manufacturers in the Midlands. In 2020, the company is still innovating and creating new opportunities for a new generation of engineers.
Marked the 70th year of Grainger & Worrall, with more than 700 employees, a new state of the art machining facility in Bridgnorth, as well as the acquisition of the COSCAST foundry in Worcester.
Grainger & Worrall employs some 400 members of staff, runs 6 foundries, precision machining facilities and an extensive engineering resource.
The expanding workforce had grown to 325 staff and during this year HRH Prince Edward visited presenting The Queen’s Award for Export to the company.
The company had outgrown the Wombourne site and set up the Stanmore foundry on the outskirts of Bridgnorth, Shropshire as an additional facility: In total Grainger & Worrall were employing more than 150 people.
New premises were built to establish both the pattern shop and foundry under one roof and by 1994 there were a skilled workforce of 90 located at Heath Mill, Wombourne.
The company built its own premises in Holloway Street, Lower Gornal employees at this time continued to grow with 56 staff on site by 1989.
A business move to Hydes Quarry, Rock Street Upper Gornal, permitted further expansion and in 1974 the workforce numbered 18 supporting the local foundry industry with the manufacture of high quality patterns and tooling.
In post-war Britain Pattern Makers and Brothers in Law Vernon Grainger and Charles Worrall went into partnership establishing their first Master Pattern Shop at the Laurels (Stable Annexe) Clarence Street, Upper Gornal, and by 1951 the company had grown to 6 people.